Un-multi-tasking

Experimentation



I realized I have been so busy with my larger pieces (I finally finished the top of the Black on Black piece, and now it is ready to quilt. I also finished the binding on my large red flight pattern piece and only have to sew the bindings on the back. And, I have only 25% more to quilt on my large yellow piece.) but it has been a long while since I have sat down at my table to just play. Not worry about finished pieces, or creating huge compositions. But sit down and experiment. In honor of the new year I decided that I would do one small piece every day- some just assemblages, some sewn, all of them quick, and all of them continuing to experiment but still remain within the confines of "spontaneity and precision."

This is always a scary time for me- finishing and starting anew. But my enforced rest period of the last month has got me thinking about lots of different possibilities and I am not sure where they will lead me- possibly a dead end- or a whole new way of looking at my work. I started off working with some of my favorites scraps that I have been hoarding for a long while- thinking it was time to use them. I also decided to practice a bunch of inset squares to get my serious sewing skills honed.

Yesterday I went to our local thrift store and found 2 lovely panels of old linen that I bought for $4.00. I have never combined dyed cotton with any other fabric- so experiment number one and two was to inset these shapes into a loosely woven linen. I finished insetting the base- after doing 3 tests on insetting squares- I finally realized that Fray check was the only way to inset a 3" square into a loose linen that loves to fray!

I was pretty happy with the results. And just at that moment the postman arrived with my package from Japan. There was some of the lovely mosquito netting I had purchased. I decided to dive right in.

I cut into the fabric and started to unravel it.  I put it right on top of the composition I had been working on and just played around for hours. I ended up unraveling one thread and using that to stitch the netting on to the study I had been working on so you can not really see how it is attached. The composition itself is just "meh" but I do like the contrast between the hard edge lines and the netting.